1956-66 Hand Painted RIT Official Seal

Title
1956-66 Hand Painted RIT Official Seal
Subject

The original hand painted version of the official seal of RIT from 1956-66 created by Mary Anne Cross-Ehasz

Description

This seal became RIT’s new logo in 1956. Mary Anne hand painted and designed this logo in three layers: the outer layer with lettering and a dark blue circle that reads “Rochester Institute of Technology: Rochester, N.Y.” Inside of that circle, a light blue square with the acronym RIT envelopes a white triangle. Although this design was a departure from previous logos, it retains an association with the past by including the founding date of the earliest institution from which RIT was born (The Rochester Athenaeum, 1829). With this logo, Mary Anne set a trend. She was the first designer to add the dots between each letter in the acronym RIT—a motif that is still in use. The back of this board contains the name of Alexander Lawson, the faculty adviser of Gamma Epsilon Tau, the collegiate honor fraternity for graphic artists.

Creator
Mary Anne Cross
Source
Mary Anne Cross-Ehasz Collection
Date
1956
Rights
RIT Archive Collections
Format
Original hand-painted copy on board
Collection
Mary Anne Cross-Ehasz Collection
Citation

Mary Anne Cross-Ehasz collection, RIT Archive Collections Collection ID - RITArc.0010

Link to Finding Aid - http://library.rit.edu/findingaids/html/RITArc.0010.html