In April 1959, New York State Department of Public Works informed RIT it was ninety-nine percent sure that it would need to construct an inner loop to connect to the New York State Thruway which would cut right through the middle of the downtown campus. This would lead to the destruction of the Eastman Building, one of the main academic buildings on campus.
RIT Archives is celebrated the year of our Tiger - 1963/64 when the live tiger mascot came to RIT 50 years ago.
This exhibit features one of RIT's most unique stories, that of SpiRIT the bengal tiger. Students wanted a live tiger to represent thier tiger pride. Unfortunately, a live bengal cub grows very rapidly so in no time SpiRIT was more than they bargained for. SpiRIT was loved dearly by the students and is still talked about by alumni when they return to the RIT campus today. Here is a glimpse at RIT's endearing cat.
RIT's long history begins in 1829 with the founding of The Athenaeum, twelve years after the incorporation of Rochester as a town. In 1885, Henry Lomb, Max Lowenthal, Frank Ritter and others founded the Mechanics Institute. These two organizations merged in 1891 to become the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. It wasn't until 1944 that the Institute believed they needed a name change to give it a more modern identity. Rochester Institute of Technology continued growing in their downtown Rochester location until 1968 when they moved to Henrietta.
Skating through the decades of men's hockey at RIT
RIT’s hockey program began as a club team in the fall of 1959. In 1962, the team became part of the Finger Lakes Collegiate Hockey League. Three years later in 1965, men’s ice hockey became an official varsity sport. Since then, the team has played in Division III and Division II and most recently in 2005, the Tigers moved up to the elite Division I level and joined the Atlantic Hockey Association.
This website is the digital version of the exhibit that ran from October 2011 through March 2012 in the RIT Museum featuring five decades of photographs and memorabilia found in the RIT Archive Collections. The exhibit was greatly enhanced by donations from hockey alumni who generously loaned their jerseys, equipment, scrapbooks, and the memories they still hold of playing hockey at RIT. Included is a history of the famous RIT Corner Crew established in the 1980’s as ardent hockey supporters making their presence known at every game.
Use the Contact Us button above to let us know what you think of the exhibit. Thanks!
The RIT women’s fencing team is still remembered for their stellar performances and four season winning streak. They managed to win every match they competed in from 1953 until 1957. A record of that kind was previously unheard of for the RIT fencing team. This success resulted in many national championships and one member, Barbi Brill, actually qualified to try out for the Olympics.
Recently, the RIT Archives received a collection from Jackie Carson, the daughter of Art Plouffe. Art Plouffe was the fencing coach during the 1950's and 1960's. This exhibit contains images and news articles from this collection that documents the successes of this team, and highlights a spectacular time in RIT women's sports.
In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law the National Technical Institute for the Deaf Act and the search for a permanent site to host the new NTID was soon underway. On November 14, 1966, Representative Carey officially announced the selection of RIT as the site for NTID; the subsequent years were to be of vital importance for the establishment of the new campus.
Throughout the next several years, NTID and RIT worked tirelessly to provide education and training that would change employment outlook for deaf graduates. Although the final building designations would not be until 1979, the Dedication ceremony of the NTID Facilities in October, 1974 marked an important milestone; the Dedication is still considered one of the most memorable events in the institute’s history.