The exhibition titled From Hot Metal to Pixels: Printing Education at RIT looks at the history of the School of Media Sciences. RIT acquired the Empire State School of Printing in 1937 and the first classes were taught that fall in the newly formed Department of Publishing and Printing. The school’s trajectory has followed the transformation of the printing and publishing industry, with early students learning linotype typesetting where operators produced a line of type for letterpress printing to today’s landscape of color technologies, digital printing, image capture, cross-media publishing and variable data printing. The curriculum has undergone momentous change, as students were trained on the forefront of current technologies during the late 20th century revolution in printing production and technology. The School of Media Sciences also hosts an active research component that started in 1951 with the establishment of the Graphic Arts Research Center and continues today with applied research and collaboration with industry in several laboratories on campus. Using department records, photographs, posters printing samples and promotional materials culled from RIT Archives the exhibit follows the nearly 80 year history of the school.