Kate Gleason College of Engineering records

RIT Archives

Table of Contents

Collection Overview
Historical Information for Kate Gleason College of Engineering
Scope and Content
Arrangement
Additional Finding Aids
Subject Headings
Information for Researchers
Administrative Information
Related Materials

Collection Overview (Collapse)

Title
Kate Gleason College of Engineering records
Bulk Date(s)
1964-1989
Inclusive Date(s)
1949, 1962, 1964-1992, 1994-1996, 1999, 2003, 2005
Abstract
The collection includes materials related to the College of Engineering (COE) at RIT, including correspondence, clippings as well as materials from Engineers’ Council for Professional Development and other related materials. Also included is a 1987 COE alumni directory, and records about the Center for Quality and Applied Statistics.
Extent
2.0 Boxes (1 document box and 1/2 doc box)
Location
C.S.South, Shelf 326
Repository
RIT Archive Collections
RIT Libraries
Wallace Center
90 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, New York, 14623
(585) 475-2557
raswml@rit.edu
Language
English

Return to Top »


Historical Information for Kate Gleason College of Engineering (Collapse)

Rochester Institute of Technology has provided engineering courses since the foundation of Mechanics institute in 1885, when they first offered a mechanical drawing course. In 1960, RIT was organized into six different colleges with the College of Applied Science being one of them. The College of Applied Science housed mechanical, electrical and chemistry departments. (Not to be confused with College of Applied Science and Technology) In 1971, the name has been changed to the College of Engineering. In 1998, the name was changed again to Kate Gleason College of Engineering in honor of one of RIT's major benefactors and an engineer.

Created in 1983, the John D. Hromi Center for Quality and Applied Statistics (CQAS) has achieved international recognition for excellence in the fields of quality management and applied statistics. Dr. John D. Hromi came to RIT in 1981 as the Frederick H. Minnett Distinguished Professor and established the Center for Quality and Applied Statistics. The Center is named in recognition of Dr. Hromi's accomplishments and a new building was dedicated in 1992 with the presence of Dr. Joseph M. Juran, celebrated international authority in industrial statistics and quality control. Dr. Hromi has a well-established reputation as an international authority in industrial statistics and quality control and has addressed conferences around the world.

Dr. Mason E. Wescott was the founder of the RIT graduate degree program in Applied and Mathematical Statistics in 1966. The Mason E. Wescott Lab is named in recognition of his contributions to the program. The Center is home to the Mason E. Wescott Statistics Laboratory, which offers access to the Internet and statistical applications and to RIT’s other computer systems.

Return to Top »


Scope and Content (Collapse)

The collection consists of a variety of documents related to the Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE)from the 1960’s to the 1990’s. Included in the collection are correspondence, clippings, and examples of promotional materials for students interested in engineering graduate programs at RIT. Also included are news releases, materials from the Engineers’ Council for Professional Development, materials regarding John Lindsay Hill, and other related documents. Added to the collection is a 1987 COE Alumni Directory which contains short blurbs about the various engineering programs in the college; as well as alumni lists alphabetically, geographically, and by class year.

Within the KGCOE records exists the John D. Hromi Center for Quality & Applied Statistics records. They include clippings 1983-1989, the Interaction publication 1985-1990, a newsletter Applications For Quality 1993-2001, and promotional materials from 1984-1997.

Return to Top »


Arrangement (Collapse)

The folders are arranged in alphabetic order with content in each folder arranged chronologically.

Return to Top »


Additional Finding Aids (Collapse)

In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.

Kate Gleason College of Engineering records

Return to Top »


Subject Headings (Collapse)

Personal Name(s)

  • Gleason, Kate, 1865-1933
  • Hromi, John D., Dr.
  • Juran, Joseph M., Dr.
  • Wescott, Mason E., Dr.

Corporate Name(s)

  • Rochester Institute of Technology. College of Engineering.
  • Rochester Institute of Technology. Electrical Engineering.
  • Rochester Institute of Technology. Kate Gleason College of Engineering.
  • Rochester Institute of Technology. Microelectronic Engineering.

Subject(s)

  • Electrical engineering
  • Engineering

Genre(s)

  • Annual reports
  • Brochures
  • Clippings (information artifacts)
  • Correspondence
  • Ephemera
  • Invitations
  • Newsletters

Return to Top »


Information for Researchers (Collapse)

Preferred Citation

Kate Gleason College of Engineering records, RIT Archive Collections

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Return to Top »


Administrative Information (Collapse)

Collection ID

RITArc.0410

Processing Information

Finding aid created by Veronica Raco in August 2012.

Revision Description

 Added 1987 Alumni Directory. 5 June 2015

Return to Top »


Related Materials (Collapse)

Return to Top »