2019 Cary Collection Short-Term Summer Research Fellowship
The Cary Graphic Arts Collection at Rochester Institute of Technology invites applications for a one-month summer research fellowship.The fellowship is open to scholars engaged with subject areas covered by the library’s holdings. Selected research collections include:
- Graphic Design Archive consisting of 45 archives related to Modernist designers active from the 1920s to the 1950s, as well as selected contemporary designers working in the modernist traditions. See http://design.rit.edu.
- Type specimens and printers' manuals.
- Historical printing presses, type (metal and wood), and matrices.
- Private press printing: Doves Press, Golden Cockerel Press, Kelmscott Press, Klingspor, Limited Editions Club, Merrymount Press, Officina Bodoni, Roycroft Press, Spiral Press, and Vincent Fitzgerald & Co.
- Substantial archives on type designers such as Frederic Goudy and Hermann Zapf.
- The archive of calligrapher Paul Standard, including decades of correspondence with major 20th-century graphic artists.
- Bernard C. Middleton Collection of Books on the History and Practice of Bookbinding.
The Cary Collection short-term fellowship is for one month of study in residence at the library during the summer of 2019. A stipend of $2,800 covers travel and living expenses.
Applications are due January 18, 2019. To apply, please mail or email a research proposal detailing your project, a CV, and one letter of recommendation to:
Dr. Steven K. Galbraith, Curator
RIT Cary Graphic Arts Collection
90 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623