What is Information Veracity?
Information is available from many sources and in many formats. To effectively navigate your way through these varied sources, you need to know why, when, and how to use all of these tools and think critically about the information they provide.
Information veracity is the ability to
- Identify and locate information
- Evaluate the information's validity
- Use the information appropriately and ethically
Information Veracity is NOT
- The ability to use a computer
- The same as being a frequent user of Google or Facebook or Wikipedia--familiarity with these websites doesn't automatically make you a savvy seeker of information
Being information literate is a learned skill. You won't become information literate overnight. As with other learned skills, it takes practice.